27 July 2008

Glad finally to be sitting down

Today's adventure was a trip to Trader Joe's. Now, I know that going to TJ's here is about a two hour long commitment on the weekend, given the joys of the MBTA, but I figured since I wasn't doing anything else but sitting around the house, I might as well. So I walked up to Cambridge, missed two 57s, then walked up to Union Square and missed a 66. Knowing that the 66 only shows up every half hour or so, I opted to walk, and managed to catch up to that bus right as it hit Comm Ave. Being more than halfway there already, I decided just to walk the rest of the way. The Brookline Booksmith lured me in, which was an enjoyable, if costly, diversion. At least I got a new planner for the upcoming year. It always feels good to have that in hand, like the whole year is somehow containable. I went conservatively crazy at TJ's, knowing that I had to lug everything back home again, and then reversed the process and went home. I did wait for the 66 this time, since my feet were awfully tired, and after all I had a book to pass the time now! Shbags came over and we went more grocery shopping for things they didn't have at TJ's (yes, there are a few things, such as lemongrass and, surprisingly, ginger). Shbags and I then made a delicious dinner, dubbed the iMeal, because it consisted of foods from countries starting with I. I am now awaiting a copyright suit from Apple. It was worth the wait, even though we didn't eat until around 9. And I got to introduce another person the Asian pears, which are wonderful. All in all, a good day. Since Roommate is off to NH for the week, I'll be here trying out recipes that involve meat and other disgustingly unhealthy things in her absence. Tomorrow, I'm going to hit the produce store in Brighton Center in hopes of acquiring some zucchini and who knows what else, which I will promptly cover in cheese or something equally unhealthy. (I actually like plain old healthy steamed veggies, but I don't want to ruin my reputation as a whole-wheat-hating, animal-killing, refined-sugar-using antihippie.)

2 comments:

Jaya said...

If you don't mind the vicissitudes of the 57, you can get ginger AND lemongrass at the Super 88 at Packard's Corner. Also Asian pears of several varieties--and the cutest little Thai eggplants ever.

wombat said...

Yep! And that is in fact where we went for those things!