25 September 2008

More of the Extraordinary

As a follow up to my last post, I would like to ask: If you could have any power, what would it be? I know it's a cheesy question, but come on. Admit it! It's an interesting one! Personally, I am torn. I think flying would be really an excellent thing to be able to do. The first thing I would do would be to fly out over the ocean and find some island somewhere to spend an hour or two. Then I would come back to the city and spend some quality time figuring out how to use my power to avoid the MBTA without being shot as a UFO. Given this power's inherent difficulties of use due to society's fear of the misunderstood, these days I am tending towards telekinesis, which I think would be supercool. Seriously, though. You could do so many things! And if you had enough force, and took physics into consideration, you could conceivably push the earth away from you and you would end up basically flying anyway. So share your thoughts so we can all psychoanalyze you for it! And feel free to psychoanalyze me. Gently. Ooh gurl.

5 comments:

Anne said...

Teleportation. Or possibly stopping time. Though I'm a bit less prurient than Nicholson Baker.

Anonymous said...

Mine has always been flying, but grad school has made me wish that I had the power of never having to sleep with no ill effects.

Also, I think pushing the earth away from you could have disastrous consequences when it gets pushed out of its orbit and falls into the sun.

wombat said...

Teleportation would clear up the problem of keeping people from seeing you flying and still avoid the bus. Erin, I like yours. Maybe if you had the power to slow down time, it would solve the problem? It's been a long time since physics, but wouldn't the difference between the mass of the planet and my mass mean that I wouldn't be able to ruin the earth's orbit and kill everyone?

Unknown said...

I personally don't think that physics should really come into the equation when talking about superpowers, but I think that with the right knowledge, telekenesis could give you a large number of other desired powers, like fire/freezing abilities, control over weather, and of course as you mentioned, flying. You could probably even make your body release the right chemicals so that you heal faster, or never feel pain. Sadly, I can't think of even a theoretical way you could stop/slow time, though. Still, all the others would be pretty sweet.

Jaya said...

Mindreading. I try it anyway, but with very little success.