13 March 2009

No cacti past the mesa on I-17


Spending spring break in a place that has sun is a pretty good idea, it turns out. Roommate and I went on a sub-spring-break-trip yesterday, from Scottsdale where my grandparents live up to the Grand Canyon. It is still really huge. It is still really beautiful. And it is still really silent. We came back from the Canyon via 89A to Sedona, aka the road that goes along the inside of Oak Creek Canyon. It is incredible, and a little terrifying when you're not the one in control of the car. The fabled red rocks are fabled for a reason, and the whole valley/area is amazing. I wouldn't say I was touched by the mystical power of the vortices, but it is definitely a place I wish we could have spent more time. Perhaps it is the sheer size of the Grand Canyon that makes it so difficult to comprehend. Perhaps it's that so many photos of it look like so many other photos of it. Perhaps it's that it is completely and eerily silent. Perhaps it's just that I twisted my ankle badly on a trail that was making me nervous anyway. Whatever it is, somehow I feel as though my relationship with the old GC has come to an amicable but inevitable parting of the ways. On my next trip west, it will be to Sedona that I turn.

No comments: