03 April 2008
Squinty Eyed Anger
I have complained about my Wednesday night class before. The teacher treats us like we're children, not grad students. He uses phrases such as: "Please come prepared to represent BU's graduate program to the rest of the world" (when we had a guest lecture) and "I can see that you have potential, but I didn't see that here" (when his unclear instructions caused me to turn in something "rougher" than he wanted). For christ's sake, I'm 24. When I said, "well, I apologize. I didn't fully understand what you were asking for, and there has been so much changing of the schedule that I was also a little unclear as to what was due when. I'm happy to work with you to give you what you were looking for," he said, "the due dates never changed." And then, "well, you are ultimately responsible for how well you do in this class, I'm just trying to help you." Passive aggressive, much? This brings me to a larger problem here, which is that, since coming here, I have spent quite a bit of time suppressing my rage and fighting the urge to do physical damage to people and objects. Not that I ever would, or could do that, but this is not conducive to learning. Clearly, I am sitting here fuming 24 hours after that little chat, unable to concentrate on the work I apparently didn't do a week ago. The fact that he thought he needed to sit me down and talk to me about my "performance" in the class, rather than discuss with me the questions that I had included when I submitted the document in question (i.e. "Please let me know if this is not what you were looking for, as I have been a little unclear on this assignment") drives me crazy. It's like he only knows what to do with a problematic student, so he's decided I am one. This might be a decent time to add that the project in question basically ethnography, in that we have to go out into Boston to look at a local, current music-making. Fascinating, I'm sure. But I'm not an ethnomusicologist for a reason, and this is not an ethnomusicology class. I don't enjoy interviewing people, and I don't enjoy being condescended to. Between him, Marty, and money, I'm this close to telling this place to shove it. I came for graduate level education and quasi-professional experiences, not high school quality "academic guidance" and narrow minded artistic direction. People keep telling me to just grin and bear it, but am I really such a reactionary pain in the ass to object to this kind of thing in a program I'm paying to attend?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm assuming this prof isn't actually an Anthro prof? One of the anthropology/University Professors guys does ethnomusicology classes for undergrads, but he always got rave reviews.
I hate having asshole professors. It just sucks all the joy out of it. Even worse is when you already dislike the assignments.
I think the point of the grin and bear it suggestions is that what little you may be able to get out of the program, you won't get it whilst angry. I decided not to spend my coachings with Marty being angry and although I often have to let off steam after them, I still do learn things. Even if you tell BU to shove it, you've still got the rest of this semester. Being angry, while fun, is usually unproductive. I don't know if it will help in your Hybridity class but during Smelly rehearsals, I keep track in my head of all the things I would do differently if I were Marty, it helps me stay analytical and emotionally uninvolved.
Stiney, nope, he's not. He's a music education prof who's done a lot of ethno type work. Zoe, but that's exactly the point. I'm fed up, and that feeling can't just been wished or even rationalized away, lovely though that would be. It's not like I chose to be angry. I hate the implication that you can just decide not to be angry any more. Being expected to suppress those feelings is why I never learned how to express them properly, and why I resent these grin and bear it suggestions. If it were that easy, I'd already be doing it.
Hey J...I don't know you well, so I hope you don't mind that I found you through Zoe. I think you can figure out who I am.
You should talk to my husband about telling BU to shove it...
As for me, I am going to Case Western next fall and am somewhat happy to get the heck outa Boston. But then again, I have been here 5 years already.
Best of luck on many things and I am so sad to have missed your recital. Mine is Saturday (eek) so I have been sweating about that...
Post a Comment