01 April 2008

Thunder! Lightning!

I love thunderstorms. They remind me of...things. Lots of things. My mom, first of all, and our house on 124th Street where I used to go play in the puddle that the driveway became after a storm. I'm pretty sure I had a raincoat that I loved, or boots or something. Those are foggy but strong memories. We used to walk to a deli/convenience store nearby for ice cream etc in the summer. The place was called Beck's Deli, which my mom always called Deck's Belly. One time we were walking home, and it started to thunder. I was probably 7 or 8. I wasn't afraid of thunderstorms, but I yelped and hollered, "Lightniiiing!" and grabbed my mom's arm. I was probably trying to be funny. She started laughing hysterically, and so did I, and from then on, even all through high school and into college, "Lightniiing!" was yelped to herald almost every storm. Thunderstorms also remind me of summers in Oberlin and walking home to East Lorain after being at the Feve. The rain almost always stopped by then, and the walk home was shiny, not soggy. And they remind me of Kinhaven, where the daily thunderstorm moved in so quickly over the hills that you didn't even see it coming until it was mostly over. You still got drenched, though. I love storms, but they make me nostalgic.

No comments: