I am beginning to have serious doubts about being able to complete my program as it is currently designed. I am becoming a second rate cellist and a second rate musicologist, all at once! I don't feel as though I have the time to devote to either one properly, and it leaves me feeling frazzled and useless pretty much all the time. I am going to have to skip a seminar tomorrow morning because I just don't have time to do the work. I have the 100+ pages of reading as per usual, plus this week I have a presentation on a book I haven't read yet. I had a paper due on Friday which got done without too much angst, but I wasn't able to do any work for this coming week because of it. I'm also working on another, non-school related project at the moment, and it's getting to the point where I really need to spend the time on it that I committed myself to spending when I agreed to help. But I already feel like my days are full of other things, and it's hard to even contemplate fitting in one more thing. It doesn't help that my friends all work, and are free and easy in the evenings. I used to be like that too, and it's hard for me to keep in mind that while I want to do things when they plan them, I really just need to work constantly these days. It's not their fault, but I feel anti-social when I don't do things with them. I managed the going to bed earlier change, so this week I'll be doing the working like a fiend change. Since I'm skipping class like a slacker tomorrow morning, I am at least going to get up early and work all day. I should be able to catch up some. It reminds me of when I was in 4th or 5th grade and I got so behind on my work all the time. We were supposed to do it during the school day, but I knew I could do it at home later, so I spent the day talking to my friends and then doing homework later. It was a good plan, but I never got all my work done. Occasionally, my dad would let me take what he called “mental health days” which were days when I didn't go to school at all, but he and I would go to the library and I would get caught up on my work. I guess some of that mentality of taking time for the social and working harder to make up for it later still applies, and I don't think it's such a bad thing since my friends are at least as important to me as school. But unfortunately, in grad school there's no such thing as “taking a day off of school” to get caught up, since I only have 7.5 hours of class a week anyway. Tomorrow will be my mental health day. We'll see if it works.
No comments:
Post a Comment